November 23, 2009

Long time no see?

College has taken over my artistic life. As I write this now, I should be using my typing energy on finishing an essay. But I just wanted to write a little because my dear friend Cheryl Griffindork mentioned it a while ago. :)

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about service. I am a Christian, but it says in James that "Religion that is pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows n their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." Unfortunately, I have been doing none of this. Keeping myself from being polluted by the world, maybe a little. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't engage in sexual activity. But I do forgot to talk to God, and I do slack off in doing homework, and I do eat a lot, and I am generally a lazy, tired person. I believe these activities (or lack of activity) have been polluting my life.

And caring for orphans and widows? I have no time for it. That's what I've been telling myself anyway. So lately, I've been acting more. Friday afternoon I gave blood. Saturday morning I helped out in a community service project. It felt good to do something for once. God has given me this terribly terrific opportunity to broaden my mind, but that's all I've done with it. I've simply buried this one talent, scared that if I invest it, I might lose it. But now I'm trying. God, I'm really trying. I have this calling on my heart to serve. For the first time in my life, I want to look outside of myself and my selfish work, and to see others who have less.

I've also been considering artistic work for the church. My parents attend a service where an artist paints an interpretation of the sermon. I would love to do that, but I have some hesitancy here. I would also love to sing with the worship. But there's hesitancy here, too. Father, if it is Your will, take this fear of action from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment