February 17, 2009

Feb 17



"The Earth is not a mere fragment of dead history...but living poetry like the leaves of a tree..." -Thoreau

I was incredibly mesmerized by English ivy on a live oak. I think the colors inspired me the most, but I sat down and sketched the values anyway. I didn't do so good depicting the bark behind the vines, but overall I think it looks good, on an abstract level.

I've been reading a lot of Henry David Thoreau. A LOT. His philosophy is almost the same as mine, especially concerning government and non-conformity and the idea of simplicity. Simplicity is something I always strive for...I like to take away my own posessions, so I can learn to do without. I'm down to about three pairs of shoes now, and a very limited wardrobe. T-shirts and jeans and sneakers are my stable now. :D Everything else is meaningless, really. I have a nice dress or two for special ocassions, but otherwise I'd rather slink around in flip flops and a t-shirt. No pressure to conform to fashion is the best. I'd rather be seen as the weird girl who wears the same clothes all the time than the girl who never wears the same outfit twice.

1 comment:

  1. Have you learned nothing in sociology! You must conform... Conformmmmmmmm. Bleh, complete conformity = no indvidualism. So that ain't for me either. Nice sketch though, it looks like a water reflection of a chinese symbol covered with leaves. So thus is how my mind works.

    ReplyDelete