Starting today, I'm going to add one sketch a day to this site. :) That means all future sketches on here will be done that day. That also means my sketchbook will be getting filled up fast...It's not a self portrait, by the way. :\ I really don't like writing that sentence, but most of the sketches I've done of women have been mistaken as self-portraiture.
No reference material was used on this, and the proportions are meant to be off...:)

cool beans
ReplyDeleteI've heard from my graphic design professors that if something's supposed to be a bit "off," do it like you mean it!
ReplyDeleteSubtlety is a possibility, but will people get it, or will it just look like a mistake?
Keep sketching! I think I need to start one of these!
- Tim
That makes a lot of sense...proportions that are only slightly distorted can come off as bad skill. Taking those proportions and stretching and expanding them makes the piece receive more like "Ohhh, it's meant to be that way." And all of a sudden it's artistic genius. :o
ReplyDeleteI personally love the art of Edvard Munch. The proportions in his stuff are all extremely distorted, so the emotion of the piece is more poignant. "The Scream" = perfect example